As we all start to look at simple ways we can reduce our waste, the bathroom is a great place to make some simple swaps! Did you know that disposable make up remover pads can often contain plastic?! Switching to reusable cotton pads is a quick and easy swap to help reduce your waste.
This project is also a great little scrap buster!
We’ve used bamboo towelling rather than cotton towelling here (but who’s heard of Bamboo Pads?!) so we’re using poetic license when we’re calling these cotton pads…
There’s a good reason why we’re using bamboo though – it’s far more sustainable than cotton. Read more about Bamboo Towelling’s eco-credentials in our full guide here
Read our 13 Tips for Sewing with Bamboo Towelling Fabric here
There are 6 items that make up the Spa Set and if you’re pushed for time, each of these handmade items would make a great small gift on their own.
Request the Sew a Spa Set Series Templates here
Boring Legal Bit: If you follow any tutorial or guidance found in this post, or on this blog, you agree to be bound by our disclaimer which can be viewed here
You can use out template or size up, or change the shape to a square (and make up using the same process) to make reusable baby wipes or rounds.
We hope you enjoy sewing and gifting these handmade items!
- 1cm / ⅜” seam allowance throughout, unless directed.
- We used an overlocker to finish our seams. If you don’t have an overlocker check out this post for other seam finishing options
- For steps using machine sewing, straight stitch, backstitching at the start & end using stitch length 2.5 unless otherwise stated.
- Prepare your fabrics as per manufacturer’s care advice – we recommend pre-washing all fabrics used in this project as they will be used to make items that will be washed frequently
To make One Reusable Cotton Pad
- The Sew a Spa Set Series Pattern
- Scraps of Bamboo Towelling at least 12cm square [We used Premium White Bamboo Terry Towelling]
- Scrap pieces of Quilting Cotton at least 12cm square
- Sewing Thread
Sewing Kit You Will Need:
- Sewing machine
- Fabric Scissors OR rotary cutter, mat & ruler
- Tape Measure or ruler
- Pins or Clips
- Hand Sewing Needle
- Basic Sewing Kit
There’s a full written and photo tutorial below, but why not check out our quick summary video before you start sewing?
Making the Reusable Cotton Pads
1. Pre-wash your fabrics
We recommend pre-washing all fabrics used in this project as they will be used to make items that will be washed frequently
2. Print the cotton pad templates
Print off the Spa Set Templates ensuring you print at 100%. If you haven’t already, request your pattern here.
Please note: This free pattern has been sized to print on A4 paper.
3. Cut your fabrics & notions
To make one pad cut out:
- 1x Circle from Bamboo Towelling
- 1x Circle from Patterned Cotton
- 1x Back loop from Patterned Cotton
4. Assemble The Cotton Round
Sew the loop
- On the loop pattern piece, fold the long edges over 1cm / ⅜” and press.
- Fold the entire rectangle lengthwise again to the middle and press.
- Top stitch down both sides of the rectangle.
Assemble the pad
- Pin the rectangle to RS (right side) of the Cotton fabric circle of your pad. Make sure there is a little space to slide your fingers between the loop and the pad, this will mean the loop is not flat against the pad.
- Baste the edges where the rectangle meets the circle edge.
- Place the bamboo towelling circle RS together with the Cotton circle, sandwiching the loop in between. Pin in place and stitch around the circle with a 1cm / ⅜” seam allowance, leaving an opening to turn it out the right way.
- Pink or clip the seam allowance. Turn the pad out through the opening you left.
- Fold in the seam allowance at the opening.
- Top stitch 3mm / ⅛” around the edge of the circle to finish and close the opening.
And you’re finished, well done!
Follow Us on Instagram